CALL FOR ART
Oakland Style: a Photography Show by Femme Cartel
A group art show questioning, exploring, and celebrating personal style, independence, fashion, and identity.
SUBMIT ONLINE: http://tinyurl.com/femmecartelsubmission
DEADLINE: 7/1/2013. (You may submit final photos or samples/concept.)
The show, organized by Oakland-based Femme Cartel, will be a love letter to Oakland—our vibrant, diverse, creative, STYLIN’ city. The curators are looking for photography that flaunts Oakland-style in all of it’s confidence, diversity, hotness, risk-taking, soulfulness, beauty, complexity, and cutting edge creative rebellion.
Photos should showcase Oakland’s finest exploring/honoring their identities through what they’re wearing and how they’re wearing it, rocking their own self-made fashions, or expressing their personalities through individualized and unique definitions of style and fashion.
Highlighting the subversive, free-ing power of self-styling, the show will explore tensions between feminism and fashion, consumerism and fashion, and will present a colorful, creative challenge to the narrow world of fashion “do’s and don’ts” dictated by the mainstream media.
Bonus points for
- Oakland streets, scenes, and settings…
- Local fashions made by local Oakland designers…
- People of all Colors and Ages…and Genders!
- Fierce femmes, curvy & plus size queens, tattoo girls and boys, queer fashionistas…and other fashion/style boundary pushers!
- All kinds of photography: Black and White, Color, Sepia, print, digital, photo-edited, instagram, hipstamatic, etc…
If you think it’s in the realm of “Oakland fashion photography”, submit it!
- APPLY TO BE IN THE SHOW: By 7/1/13: Submit your work—or if you are inspired to do a photo shoot for this show, submit samples of your photography and a concept. (SUBMIT ONLINE: http://tinyurl.com/femmecartelsubmission)
- GET THE NEWS: By 7/15/13: Femme Cartel notifies all applicants.